Thursday 24 December 2015

A Kelly Xmas


I wish all the readers of this Blog a very Happy Xmas and a prosperous New Year. While you’re on holiday, I will continue to make Posts so you will have something interesting to read and to think about, and while you have more time on your hands why not take the time to write something for the Blog? My next Post should be ready to go up on Monday  28th. It will be controversial I think so don’t miss it.

Meantime, enjoy the Song. Its an awesome Xmas song, and a good one for a Kelly Blog as its sung  by one of Australias finest songwriters, Paul Kelly and its about a guy in Prison for Xmas. He starts off saying 'Hello Dan!' but the prisoner is Joe not Ned!  Even so, it reminds us that for the young Ned Kelly in  Beechworth Prison, alone in his cell for Xmas in 1871  it must have been tough. Its best listened to LOUD. 


Hello Dan, it's Joe here, I hope you're keeping well

It's the 21st of December

And now they're ringing the last bells

If I get good behavior, I'll be out of here by July

Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day
Please don't let 'em cry for me

I guess the brothers are driving down
From Queensland and Stella's flying in from the coast
They say it's gonna be a hundred degrees
Even more maybe, but that won't stop the roast

Who's gonna make the gravy now?
I bet it won't taste the same
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine
And don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce
For sweetness and that extra tang

And give my love to Angus and to Frank and Dolly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry I screwed up this time
And look after Rita, I'll be thinking of her
Early Christmas morning
When I'm standing in line

I hear Mary's got a new boyfriend, I hope he can hold his own
Do you remember the last one? What was his name again?




(Just a little too much cologne)

And Roger, you know I'm even gonna miss Roger

'Cause there's sure as hell no one in here I want to fight


Oh praise the Baby Jesus, have a Merry Christmas
I'm really gonna miss it, all the treasure and the trash
And later in the evening, I can just imagine
You'll put on junior Murvin and push the tables back
And you'll dance with Rita, I know you really like her

Just don't hold her too close
Oh brother please don't stab me in the back
I didn't mean to say that, it's just my mind it plays up
Multiplies each matter, turns imagination into fact
You know I love her badly, she's the one to save me

I'm gonna make some gravy, I'm gonna taste the fat
Tell her that I'm sorry, yeah I love her badly
Tell 'em all I'm sorry
And kiss the sleepy children for me
You know one of these days, I'll be making gravy
I'll be making plenty, I'm gonna pay 'em all back

No comments:

Post a Comment

1. Moderation is back on. I haven’t got time to be constantly monitoring what comments are made and deleting the mindless rubbish that Kelly sympathisers have been posting lately. Please post polite sensible comments, avoid personal abuse and please use the same name whenever you Post, even if its a made-up name.